CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Freezing in August

Quite some time ago, I participated in a frozen meal club. It was so much fun to come home with 9 other meals. However, for me, it was just too stressful to continue. I began to do the whole 30 meals in one day thing. That was fantastic. I could make exactly what my family would eat and there was no chance of ending up with 3 of the same meal unless I planned it that way. Still, it is hard to plan that many meals, shop and find a whole day to cook without kid involvement.
Lately I have needed to find a way to incorporate freezer meals back into my cooking practices. I also want to find a way to bring back the joy of eating something I didn't have to do all of the work for.
Keeping in mind some of the rules from the freezer club I went to Wal Mart in search of freezer meals. The rules: $80 10 meals, must feed 6 (for us we only have 2 of us it will eat it some times and the other 3 count as only 1 1/2 people. So I was aiming for feeding fewer but maybe a couple more meals.) Luck would have it that the store was full of straight from the freezer to a heat source to plate meals.
Each meal shown below was $5-$6. So I spent about $40 on 7 meals. Not too bad. I also compared how much they cost and how many they would feed to the Schwan man prices. Wal Mart of course beat those prices by a large margin.
We have tried the following 2 meals.
The frozen beans tasted just like frozen beans. What a shocker. We like it though. We absolutely love these stuffed breasts. The Artichoke stuffed breast is the best. These were more of a splurge at $5 dollars for two breasts, but I love them.
I will still be making some of my own freezer meals, but having these bad boys on hand will make it a bit easier for now.

4 comments:

Macey said...

Sometimes I'll take a Sunday and cook a couple freezer meals. It can get overwhelming just making a couple. But OH SO NICE to get something homemade outta the freezer without having to "work." At least work that day, that is.

Embellish the Moment said...

Have you heard of the Make a Mix cook books? I love them. You basically cook a bunch of meat and freeze it and then have a bunch of different recipes to use it. Very handy. I also like to use those skillet meals in a soup base for a fast and easy yummy soup.

Amber Filkins said...

I agree that having a few frozen dinners on the ready can be so handy. And necessary for some days! :)

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Frozen dinners are the best! I will stock up on frozen pizzas/kid friendly things for when Hubs and I each have a meeting/evening plans and the kids are kind of on their own that night. But for when I'm just pressed for time, I make extra chili, soups and lasagna sauces and freeze them whenever I cook.